Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Our Baby Journey: Part 3


You made it to the end of the story!

At this point you are probably thinking, drama, drama, drama. Yes, that is true. But, what part of a quest to create a new life isn’t dramatic? After taking the shots and the trigger I developed OHSS. I gained 10 pounds of fluid around my abdomen in about 3 days. My skin was stretched, my muscles were stretched and I looked like I was 5 months pregnant. After several days of feeling like hell we called the doctor’s office. They told me to rest -_- Thanks a f@#%$^& lot. So, I rested. After about a week of severe pain we called again and they scheduled me an ultrasound appointment. Oh! I forgot! One of the most important parts! 

Forgive me.

When you do this infertility treatment, they also fail to inform you of the time commitment. Every other day for two weeks I had to either have blood drawn or have an ultrasound done. Not the happy ultrasounds either. We’re talking up the you know what. 

Back to my final ultrasound during my OHSS. Now as I explain what is about to happen, keep in mind what I just told you. I had been going in from April 1st to April 20th and getting either blood drawn or ultrasounds done EVERY OTHER DAY. When I went in to my ultrasound on April 20th I was hoping someone would find answers to why I had OHSS so bad and why I felt like crap. 

The LAST (if I could capitalize this more, I would) LAST thing I was expecting was for my doctor to start the ultrasound, look at me and say, “That’s a pregnancy!” Um, I’m sorry what? Then he asked me when I started my treatment. I told him it had been a couple of weeks, but not long enough for a pregnancy to be showing up on an ultrasound. He is poking around and measures the little blur on the machine and finally tells me, “That’s a 6 week pregnancy.” At which point I told him to shut up. Really. I think I was in shock. I told him that it wasn’t funny and that he better not be joking. Then they handed me a picture of the little squiggle, said congratulations and showed me the door.

Walking out of that appointment I can honestly say my mind was blown. My mind had never been blown like that before. It was the weirdest feeling. I told my hubby he was going to be a daddy in the parking lot. Not my finest moment. But, like I said, I was in shock.

We were SO excited and SO happy. We were also a little confused. How could this have happened? How could we have gone in every other damn day for blood work or an ultrasound and NO ONE knew I was pregnant the whole time. The kicker is that I was pregnant at my first infertility appointment. I was pregnant the whole time. Wtf. Now, it is not entirely their fault for not knowing. I took an at home pregnancy test before starting the Menopur and it was negative. But still. Come on.

So, now I am most definitely pregnant. We went in again at 8 weeks and saw the baby wiggling around. It moved its little arms and legs for us and its heart was beating away. We are so lucky. (I am going to cry writing this) We are beyond lucky. I don’t know how or why it happened, but thank God it did.


Now keep in mind, not every one's story ends the way that mine does. Next time you ask a couple when they are planning on having a baby, why they haven't started a family yet, or what they are waiting for... think about this. Think about how you may be making them feel. Have a little tact. Please :)

No comments:

Post a Comment